1. Paint all rooms a neutral colour if they are brightly coloured. Areas such as bedrooms, bathrooms and so on should be a taupe or beige colour which most purchasers can imagine their own furniture in. In Homes for Sale in Portland everyone can see the potential of your home in neutral shades.
2. Call a junk man or garbage removal company and start loading up the truck. Nothing is sacred, put all unused or overgrown articles in the dumpster or truck. Fill it and fill it again
3. Remove anything that smells old or musty such as old sofas or blankets from the basement. Old clothes in bags or boxes might have a damp and musty smell. Get rid of these culprits
4. Clean up the basement and wash all floors or steam clean carpeting. Repaint any cement floors and fix up the laundry center. Use organizational cupboard and storage units to store all articles.
5. Go through the bathrooms and remove any old prescriptions, old bottles of cream or shampoos, stuff that clutters up the vanity. Everyone takes out their makeup and brushes.
6. Get one bottle of hand wash and use it for hand washing and one set of hand towels that are set out for company. Put all other family towels away in individual bedrooms.
7. Bedrooms must be de-cluttered and all bedding washed and changed. Fresh bedspreads or duvets should be used and all toys and stuffed animals put into storage until after the sale.
8. Put all good items which you don't need any more into a yard sale. Get rid of old furniture, clothing, kitchen gadgets and appliances, nick-knacks and old books. Make it a neighbourhood sale.
9. Now sterilize the kitchen from top to bottom, including the cupboards, pantry, sinks and counters, fridge, stove and dishwasher. Everything gets a super scrub using a disinfectant.
10. Clean the bathrooms similarly from top to bottom and remove all mould or mildew signs. Tiles and tub should glisten. See your realtor before you redo a bathroom in Portland.
11. The foyer should be free of shoes and backpacks, coats and bags. Pretend that it is the first thing that the purchaser sees and smells and it should pass the test for cleanliness and tidiness.
12. The living room should be free of any magazines or newspapers, ash trays, and used dishes. Polish all furniture and vacuum thoroughly. Spray with Febreeze or another air freshener.
13. If you have a dining room, set up a table of your best dishes and sterling. Put candles on the table and napkins, lower the lights and set up the room as if you were having company.
14. Turn on all lights and open a window in all rooms during the warmer weather or make sure the thermostat is set to 70 degrees for comfort.
15. If you have an air conditioner, put it on low during the cool seasons and full during the hotter days of summer. Portland homes for sale can weather any temperature.
16. Put out a vase of flowers, make a dozen cookies before the viewing or Open House. Now ask a neighbour or friend to go through the house and make comments or suggestions.
17. Do whatever it takes, inside or outside, to put your house on the market and get it sold! Good Luck! See your realtor when listing your home for sale in Portland.
Ask Tony and Libby Kelly any questions you may have when getting ready to sell your house. They have years of experience in the Portland area. You will get a better price if you follow the advice above.